Bethany Evangelical Free Church traces its history as far back as 1890. On January 7, 1893, the church was organized under the name of the Bethany Scandinavian Evangelical Free Congregational Church. There were seventeen character members of the church services conducted exclusively in the Scandinavian tongue for many years.
The congregation purchased their first building from the D.J. Rohrer Lumber Company which was located on the Power Street [Later named Bennett Street] and which had formerly housed Christus Lutheran Church. The church measured 24 by 60 feet and stood near the railroad tracks by the water tower.
In 1903, the congregation sold their church and property to the German Evangelical St. John's Congregation and built a neat frame church on the property purchased on Seventh Street. [Present owners are William Viergutz's.]
In March 1962, the present property on North Main Street was purchased and on January 19, 1964 the present church was dedicated.
Pastors who have served Bethany since 1945:
- Edgar D. Nelson 1945-1958
- Dale R. Leander 1958-1965
- Donald L Johnson 1966-1968
- Ward Bonnell 1968-1970
- Milford Olsen 1970-1975
- James R. Clyde 1976 - 1992
- Kurt Hettinga 1993 - Present